5.12.2009

Volunteer Leaders Pt. 1

Leaders make everything that we do possible. But, how much thought do we put into recruiting new leaders?  Most of the time we simply post in the bulletin that is being handed out that Sunday that reads something like, 

"Volunteers need for Jr. High Ministry please contact...."
or
"Do you love God and like students then we have a place for you in Jr. High Ministry..."
or
"Please I need your help I am about to kill these kids."

Well maybe not so much that last one but you know what I mean.  When we put on messages like that we get what we ask for.  We will ultimately get a lot of people that have a high gift of mercy.  They see our cries and want to help, or they see a need and are willing to give up some time.  But, to really reach our students at all levels we need others that have giftings in other areas.  We need people with high levels of organization and leadership and many other different gifts to develop not only our students but also our ministry. 

So how do we make this happen?  We must go after leaders.  Don't just wait for them to come to you. Make an effort to find the best leaders in your church.  In Bill Hybels book, Axiom, he makes a great statement by saying, "Don't say someone's no for them."  I think a lot of the time we see these great leaders and we think about how busy they are and so we say "No" for them.  I want to make a bold statement.  We are robbing these people out of an experience of getting to see these students lives changed and the chance to share the love and grace that God has given them to these students. 

So I have a couple of questions for anyone that comes by.  Haha, right now I feel a little funny asking because I know I have no one following, but I would imagine you have to write a few things before anyone follows.  So here are my questions.

1. What are qualities that you are looking for in your leaders? 
2. What does the process look like that you put prospective leaders through? 

No comments:

Post a Comment